Monday, March 19, 2012

Indian Wells Champions: Roger Federer & Viktoria Azarenka!

Roger Federer continued his red-hot run by beating a surprise finalist John Isner 7-6 6-3 on Sunday to become the first player to win the Indian Wells ATP tournament four times.

The Swiss world number three blunted the powerful serving of Isner with a controlled display, edging the American 9-7 in the first set tiebreak then breaking him twice in the second set to triumph in one hour and 21 minutes.

Federer clinched the title when the towering Isner, who upset world number one Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals and will rise to a career-high 10th in the rankings on Monday, dumped a forehand into the net. Roger had won three consecutive titles at Indian Wells from 2004-06, raised both arms skywards in celebration as the capacity crowd at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden erupted in applause.

"This tournament victory couldn't come at a better time in my career," Federer, who has triumphed six times in his last eight ATP World Tour events, said while sitting beside the glittering crystal trophy. "It's a big tournament, the first Masters 1000 of the season. It's been a long time since I have been this successful here, even though I have had some really good matches here in the past."

Federer expressed a measure of surprise over his victory, having come close to withdrawing from the tournament before his opening match because of a lingering flu bug. "I was not feeling great for five days overall and I definitely got lucky at the beginning of the tournament," said the 30-year-old, who crushed his long-time rival Rafa Nadal 6-3 6-4 in the semis. "But I was able to come through, and so convincingly at the end. I've really played amazing these last three matches in particular, so I couldn't be more happy."

Since his semi-final loss to Djokovic at last year's U.S. Open, the 16-times grand slam champion has been arguably the hottest player on the men's circuit, winning 39 of his 41 matches Just to remind, it's Roger's 73rd career title!

"If I have any shot to beat him, I'm gonna have to play my best and that wasn't the case today," Isner said after competing in his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 final. "He was too strong. I was taking care of my serve, for the most part, up until the end. I don't think I lost the match because I didn't serve as well. He was on top of me, and his forehand was way too good today."

If you missed the show, here's the HD match for you - enjoy! ;)
 

And the ceremony:

Meanwhile, the WTA Indian Wells welcomed a new Champion, present World #1 & Australian Open 2012 Champion, Viktoria Azarenka! She claimed the title with a dominant 6-2 6-3 win over Maria Sharapova.

The world number one continued her stunning form in 2012 with her 23rd victory in a row. The Belarusian goes into next week's tournament in Miami as the defending champion and in the form of her life.
"I was just trying to do my best because I know Maria is a fighter," Azarenka said in a courtside interview. "I always tried to stay focused and apply as much pressure as I can. I never dreamed about that," she added of her perfect start to the season. "It's amazing and I'm just so glad that I have been able to be consistent and disciplined and professional every day."


The ceremony:
Congratulations to the Champions and best of luck for the rest of the season - you show them how it's done!! ;)

xo K

No comments:

Post a Comment